AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Thursday 16 December 2010

BBC TV's "The Georgians"


Rousham House where Robert Dormer
kept tyrannical control over his wife
Just finished watching the BBC TV programme about the Georgians, and wanted to say what fantastic viewing it has been. The wonderful Professor Amanda Vickery is a presenter that never gets in the way of the material but presents it with insight and humour. Some of the stories from the diaries of the period would make great novels.

Today we were treated to the diary of poor persecuted Ann Dormer who was kept a virtual prisoner by her jealous husband. The fact that her house was a gorgeous mansion hardly made up for the fact that she was spied upon night and day, even in the gardens.

We were also treated to a close-up of the bane of the historical novelist's life - pockets. (If you put them in your historical novel, you get complaints from readers that pockets did not exist then, but of course they did, just not in the form they are today - and where else is a lady to store her whalebone comb, the key to her secretaire, her much-thumbed love letters?)


These two items were just a couple of the treats we were shown on tonight's episode - I hope they bring it out on DVD - I for one will be adding it to my collection.
The pocket picture is from the lovely blog titled the Gossip Guide to the Eighteenth Century, why not check it out - georgianaduchessofdevonshire.blogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. i totally agree, i was sorry when it ended. it made sucha change from kings and kings and battles - a taste of what it waslike for real people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judith,
    Thanks for stopping by. Yes, The Georgians is a bit out of both of our periods,a lot late for you, and a little bit late for me, but a great programme all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deborah,
    I just wanted to drop you a few lines to say, I am currently reading The Lady's Slipper, and you are one of my new favorite authors! I am loving this book; the manner in which you have developed the characters causes me to think I know them personally! Please keeping writing and producing more wonderful books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Lisa for your lovely comments! I really enjoyed writing the Lady's Slipper and it inspired me to write a companion volume to it.That's finished now so I am busy researching and working on a third book right now but set in a different period.Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete